Monday, October 17, 2011

Fathers

I forgive you dad

I forgive you Dad for the many ways you failed,
Now that I am a Dad I understand much more
How difficult it is to be what we should be 
To be there when they need us most
Not finding an excuse to be elsewhere.
To listen to what they say and wipe away their tears.
To kiss and cuddle them when they fall 
And not be angry when they fail.
But just be there to commiserate. 
Wouldn't it be great if we could be like that
And not lose our tempers and smack.
Because we remember our own past
When you thought smacking was all dad's did
I forgive you Dad, I love you even so.
So many years have passed and I am a Dad again
I have been given a second chance
Not to make the same mistakes again
Not to allow my ego to get in the way
So that I listen more and say much less
I hope my sons will not need to forgive me 
But just grow with the love I give
I'll tell stories about the Lion king
And meet you after school and read
I will follow your progress to manhood if Im spared
And be there when you receive your degree
And toast your success in champagne
And organise a slap up meal at your favorite restaurant
You can invite your best friends a girl or two if you so desire.
I love you my son I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment